Staff with bear or wolf designs
Etolin Island; Sealaska Native Corporation; Alaska; USA
Carved, wrapped, soldered
Formerly owned by Chief Shakes (probably Kaawishté, Chief Shakes V, who held the title Chief Shakes until his passing in 1878); acquired from members of the Shakes family, probably between 1905 and 1910, by Judge Nathan Bijur (1862-1930); inherited by Harry Bijur; purchased from Harry Bijur in 1965.
133 x 3.5 cm
This item is currently on view at NMAI, NY.
See it in the "Infinity of Nations" exhibit
Click on the image or the magnifying glass to see a larger view; click again to close the pop-up window. Scroll through Other Images and Media to see other views of this item; click on any image to make it appear in the larger window. Catalog card scans are provided to illustrate the information that originally accompanied the objects. Please recognize that unacceptable or offensive terminology represents historic data and not NMAI's current usage.